Controlled Ecological Burning Plan
Burning is an essential veld management tool. The ideal burn interval is three years.
Ekurhuleni Fire department attends and monitors the burn. Volunteers are welcome.
Challenges at Korsman are:
- Urban area
- Proximity of fence
- Proximity of reed beds
2018 burn units will cover areas not previously burned: Short St SW to Pan St, and Short St NE to Victoria.
Second two weeks of August
Optimum Weather conditions
Wind in suitable direction away from reeds 5-20km/h
Relative humidity 20-50%
Temperature: Below 25 deg C
1. Remove moribund grass to stimulate spring wild flowers and indigenous grasses
2. Remove non-ecological dead wood for ease of alien vegetation management
3. Second phase of management plan for invasive kikuyu grass
4. Typha island: To remove dead material which would rot in water and reduce oxygen levels.
- Benoni Fire Dept
Bad Boyz security
Media: Benoni City Times
Ekurhuleni departments and Erwat
- Korsman Conservancy members and Facebook pages
- Lakewest Resident's Association
- Interested people and volunteers
- Affected residents
- Rubber fire beaters 4 x large, 4 x small
- Backpack sprayer
- Buckets and 5l water cans for pre-fire wetting
- First aid kit
- Metal rakes
- Leather gloves
- Matches / newspaper fire torches
Clear along fence with rake down to mineral soil.
Clear breaks along start and end of units. Wetline on the day if necessary.
Cut and rake around trees to drip line. Remove low branches.
Cut reeds near shore and pull away to create a damp mud line.
Cut long grass on banks and near fence where high flames might occur.
Avoid burning under trees with concentrations of leaf litter.
Request Bad Boyz to direct traffic if necessary.
Proposed Lighting sequence – dependent on actual conditions
One fire head only to provide escape route for small mammals. Final sequence of units depends on actual weather conditions.
Options include back burning
Risks and Mitigations
Dead trunks might smoulder for days - No inherent risk, but inform community in advance
Hot fire - Brief crew in advance
Dead stumps from which fire can travel underground -
Monitor for several days post fire for smouldering and hot soil nearby. (Post-fire management)
Reeds close to burn area - Prepare area well. cut reeds and pull away by rake to create damp or wet area on shore. Light fire on the shore to prevent whirlwind developing and lifting embers.
Ambulance ER24 084124