About Korsman Conservancy
To create an indigenous park environment for recreational and educational purposes focusing on children, walkers, riders, families, whilst restoring, protecting and enhancing the natural beauty of the Korsman Bird Sanctuary and surrounding area.
To preserve in perpetuity the natural environment of the Korsman Bird Sanctuary for the benefit of its creatures and plants and to enhance the surrounding area for the delight of future generations of humankind.
- To restore, manage and maintain the natural beauty of Korsman Bird Sanctuary according to sound conservation principles.
- To ensure that Aubrey Ritz Park is managed as an Ecological Support Area.
- To establish a sustainable solution for the long term upkeep and control of the Conservancy area.
- To promote environmental conservation and education.
- To raise funds for achieving its objectives.
- To uphold and support general security in the area.
Korsman Conservancy is located in Westdene, Benoni, and the Korsman Bird Sanctuary is completely encircled by The Drive.
Co-ordinates: 26°11’ 36” S and 28°17’36” E
Korsman Conservancy is approximately 12km by road from O.R. Tambo International Airport.
The pan is formed by a depression in the land and has no natural outlet.
Number of members: 113
Area of Conservancy: 50 Ha
Area of Sanctuary: 45 Ha
Korsman Conservancy is a Voluntary Association. Member of the GCSA. Registration number GCSA066
under the umbrella of NACSSA
Entitled to use NACSSA NPO number 058-884 NPO
and recognised by Gauteng Department of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment (GDARDE).